Good afternoon! I hope you are doing well and enjoying this beautiful spring weather!
I usually try and send my classroom updates and weekly news over the weekend, but our internet has been down at home again and I couldn’t get on to write you. So, I wanted to take just a minute today to try and update you on a few things…
1. I was out all day yesterday for appointments with my son. Mrs. Lewton, an aide at MGES, was in the room in my place and paid your children a very high compliment on a job well done. I appreciate their kindness and hard work in my absence and I know she did too.
2. Next Thursday, April 28th, I will be in the building all day, but in meetings. A sub will be in the room, but I’ll be checking in periodically to see how they are doing. I am also out on May 6th for more medical appointments for my son. I am so sorry to have to be away, but hopefully this is the last one for the school year-fingers crossed!
3. If you have not already returned your spring picture packet and/or money, please do so NO LATER than THIS Friday!!!
4. Thank you to those who have already returned field trip money and permission forms for our last trip of the year on May 11th. If you’ve not already returned these, please do so as soon as possible so we can plan accordingly for the trip. Also, today I am sending home an additional form for this trip, as they’ve just sent us a waiver that needs to be completed for each child. Please complete this waiver and return to school by this Friday!
5. This Friday is National Poem in a Pocket Day! To celebrate, we will be wearing hand made pockets in first grade and inside each one will be poems the children will pull out to read throughout the day. I’ve put an orange sheet regarding this event in your child’s folder tonight.
6. Animal projects and animals were assigned a few weeks ago. I’ve heard a lot of excitement from the children about things they are learning and doing over their assigned animals. I can’t wait to see the final projects. If you have any questions or need help, please get in touch with me!!! The stories and writing projects we’ve been doing in class have also been centered around their assigned animals so at the end of the month they will all have some nice writing projects to also add to their final projects. We were also able to assign 23 different animals this year so when children begin to present their information we will learn about a variety instead of repeating information. This makes it a great deal of fun!!!
7. This week in math, we are working through more fraction information and will wrap this up hopefully by Friday.
8. Every August, the first grade teachers host an information night where we talk about things concerning our grade level. After much consideration, we’ve decided to change it up a bit for next year and create a movie to show incoming families. Instead of the teachers babbling on for over an hour, we are hoping to have this year’s first graders do all of the talking and show their excitement for first grade. If you do not want your child to be a part of this video (seen only by MGES parents on Info Night), please let me know by the end of this week. I’d like for as many to participate as possible, but also want to respect the privacy of those who wish not to have their child in the video.
9. While it’s getting warmer outside, it’s gotten chillier on the inside here at MGES. As I’ve mentioned before, our room temps are very unpredictable. Last week the heat started blowing for the first time in our room all winter and goodness was it hot, hot, hot!!! Today it’s like an arctic blast in here. So….I’d highly suggest sending an old sweater or sweatshirt to school with your child in case he or she gets cold.
10. As we near the end of the year, I could really use some help with final assessments, putting together writing portfolios, and cutting and sorting pictures. If you have any spare time and would like to help, please let me know!
This week’s specials include:
Wednesday-Art, Thursday-Music, Friday-P.E.
Have a great afternoon and please let me know if you have any questions about anything at all!
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.