Welcome to Social Studies, Navigators!!
Week of: September 25th-September 29th
1. Quiz over all explorers: Friday, September 29th
2. Picture day Thursday, September 28th
3. Please be on the lookout for an email with parent-teacher conference sign-ups!
What your child should do to study for the Explorers Quiz Friday: We will be going through an Early European Exploration chart that has all of the explorers listed. Each day, we will be learning about a new explorer and then filling in the chart with the required information i.e. Home Country, years of exploration, reason for exploring, land explored/discovered, etc. This chart will be used as a study guide and review for their quiz. Their quiz will consist of the information located on that chart.
Click on the link below to view a website filled with information over explorers:
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to call or email me! I would suggest studying each night and making flash cards to help your child do the best they can! 🙂
This week our class will continue working on examining accounts of early European explorations of North America including major land and water routes, reasons for exploration and the impact the exploration had.
The explorers we will be learning about this week are:
- Amerigo Vespucci
- Expeditions by French explorers Jacques Cartier and Samuel de Champlain
- Expeditions for England and Holland by explorers Henry Cabot, Henry Hudson and John White
1. Please check Class Dojo frequently. The triad is continuously using Dojo points (both positive and negative) and this is a good way to see how your kiddo is doing.
2. We will continue working on learning our states! Located inside their SS/SCI composition notebook are maps and regions that can help your child study. We have learned 27 states already!
Week of: September 18th – September 22nd
Located below is a list of explorers we have already introduced and “explored” in the classroom.
All students should have an in class “research” activity that is a summarized biography of each explorer. These are located in their composition notebooks.
1. The Viking explorations and settlements in Greenland and North America
(Erik the Red and Leif Eriksson)
2. Spanish expeditions by Christopher Columbus
3. Hernán Cortés
4. Hernando de Soto
5. Francisco Vásquez de Coronado