Panthers

Just another blogs.wws.k12.in.us site

9/11 Memorial

September13

On Monday in social studies, we discussed the tragic events of September 11, 2001.  It was a moving, somewhat emotional discussion with many students sharing connections they had to the event.  My goal in this lesson was to explain an important event in history, identify what we can learn, and gain appreciation and respect for the victims, survivors, and people who helped and protected us then, and continue to do so now.   As we learn about our nation’s history this year, we will inevitably come upon things that are not proud moments, for example, slavery and the destruction of the Native American population; however, we can’t ignore what is not pretty in the past.  What I strive to do is focus on the positive and the growth we have made as a nation.  We may not be perfect, but I want students to understand the great privilege of being an American and the freedoms we have.  I want them to take pride in their country and honor people who serve and protect us, while striving to always improve and address issues of injustice and inequality.  My heart is full of love for all who serve our country in the military, police and fire departments, or other ways.  Thank you to any of our families this applies to!   The students were very fascinated with a virtual tour of the 9/11 Memorial Museum in New York, and I told them I would post the address on the blog.  I had downloaded a guide that discussed some of the artifacts and how to tour with children.  We also watched a video clip of fellow WIS 5th grader teacher Mrs. Robison’s class being visited by her students from the year of 2001.  I’m posting both links below.  Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope this may spark meaningful dinner time conversations at home.  Bless you all!

http://www.911memorial.org/museum

Westfield teacher turns to 2001 students to teach current students about 9/11

6 Comments to

“9/11 Memorial”

1. September 15th, 2016 at 9:05 pm      Reply Taylor McBride Says:

I feel bad for those who had to jump out of the windows and die from the fall. :'( I believe most of those people are in Heaven and are now happy while being with God and Jesus. 🙂 Thank you for teaching this to me, Mrs. Philips. Though my parents have taught me about 9/11 a lot, still, thank you. 🙂

2. September 19th, 2016 at 7:57 pm      Reply Jersy Shipley Says:

Hey! I know this has nothing to do with 9/11 but I was wondering if you could print me out some flash cards for me to practice with because I don’t have a printer. Also my sister said that I could use her school computer to check our website now. 🙂

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment: