Panthers

Just another blogs.wws.k12.in.us site

Social Studies Happenings

February9

A couple of weeks ago, I sent home an information slip about an upcoming virtual field trip through Skype with the Boston Tea Party Museum in Boston, Massachusetts.  The students will get to experience the events leading up to the Boston Tea Party through role play and speaking parts.  Students will also have a tour of a replica of the ship anchored in the Boston Harbor and see a reenactment of tea being thrown overboard.  This event costs $150 per class which is roughly $5 per student.  Many student have not yet returned their $5 fee.  I’m offering a reward of donuts for the first class who completely pays their fees.  If the cost is a financial hardship, please contact me, Mrs. Phillips, and I will make arrangements privately.  I will send home new slips in the Friday folders of students who have not yet paid.  Thank you so much for supporting this exciting opportunity.  I know things get lost in the shuffle; so no worries if you haven’t paid yet.  Our Skype event will be on March 28th.

I also like to have a full service tea party during this time period to provided a sensory experience to reinforce learning and stress the importance of tea in the British culture.  The colonists were making a great sacrifice throwing tea overboard because they very much enjoyed their tea time!  I need parent volunteers to help clean China, set the table, and serve tea/food.  It’s a really neat experience for the children.  Please contact me if you are able to help with this event.  It will be in late March, the week before Spring Break.

Lastly, I often do not give the students homework besides studying for quizzes and test.  I’m going to start posting questions on the blog for discussion at home so that you can monitor your child’s comprehension of what we are learning in class.  I feel so fortunate to teach the curriculum I do because the children seem very interested and engaged, but home discussions will help check if they are really soaking in the material.

One Comment to

“Social Studies Happenings”

1. February 11th, 2017 at 12:20 am      Reply Taylor McBride Says:

I CAN’T WAIT FOR THIS EVENT!! (Squeals) 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment: