I often have parents tell me that they find it difficult getting information from their children about the highlights of their day here at school. It seems that this theme is a challenge for many parents nationwide. I came across some suggestions for prompting conversation without asking, “So how was school today?”
Here are the top ten:
1) What was the best thing that happened at school today?
2) Where is the coolest place at the school?
3) If I called your teacher tonight, what would he/she tell me about you?
4 ) How did you help somebody today?
5) When were you the happiest today?
6) Tell me something good that happened today.
7) What do you think you should do or learn more of at school?
8) Who in your class do you think you could be nicer to?
9) Who is the funniest person in your class? What makes them so funny?
10) If you got to be the teacher tomorrow, what would you do?
Try these, and if you have some that work for you, please pass them along.