Adopt-A-Resident Holiday Program
I am thrilled to announce that the WMS Choirs are partnering with Maple Park Retirement Village (next to WHS) AGAIN this holiday season! As some of you may remember, we began our community partnership last year and provided 40 residents with small holiday gifts. This is a great opportunity for our students and families to come together in an effort to learn a little bit about community service, charity, and giving to others. Most of the residents at Maple Park are there on Medicaid and the Village receives no additional assistance for the holiday season. That’s where we step in!
There are 2 holiday trees in the choir room that will be filled with ornaments (beginning tomorrow, Tuesday) containing the names and needs of 40 residents at Maple Park. Their needs are often very small, ranging from sweatshirts and socks to body wash, lotion, and bracelets. If you have it in your heart to help a Westfield resident who would really appreciate a small gift this holiday season, please e-mail me (I will send you a resident’s info) or have your student pull an ornament from our tree! The tree ornaments will state exactly the person’s name and a few ideas for gifts for them. You do not need to purchase every item on their wish list. I always encourage students to collaborate with their friends and adopt a resident together so that each student is taking on a smaller financial burden, but that the resident is taken care of nicely!
Don’t want to adopt a resident? Please consider donating items to their BINGO BOX. Residents enjoy playing bingo weekly and the most exciting part for them is winning fun prizes. Here are “favorite” items of the residents:
- “Fun” size candy bars (not mini)
- Cans of Pop (can be the mini size, but don’t have to be)
- Snack-packs of any type (like what you would give to a sports team – cookies, crackers, chips, etc.)
- Travel-size lotions and hand sanitizer (mostly lotion) and holders for the bottles
- Beanie Babies and Mini Beanie Babies (can be used if in good condition – residents like to give these to their family members as gifts)
- Small stuffed animals or baby dolls (can be used if in good condition)
- Crossword Puzzles or Word Search books
- Any fun items that YOU would want to win at BINGO!
With Black Friday coming up, I wanted to get this information out to you prior to this weekend so that you could do some inexpensive shopping should you and your student choose to participate. Last year I took two FULL car loads to Maple Park Village and the staff was SO overwhelmed with our generosity. I know many of us are pulled in many directions at the holiday season, but if you do not have another family or child that you are adopting, consider adopting a resident!